Proven and rechargeable Li-ion batteries are built in the Li-Ion PowerPack™ for AUVs and other vehicles. The SmartBMS™ observes the battery and delivers data to the AUV host system.
The AUV PowerPacks™ are optimized and qualified with a capacity from 1kWh up to 100+kWh and 14V up to 400+V. Our PowerPacks™ work highly efficient even at low temperatures and provide high power.
SubCtech has gathered a lot of know-how from diverse projects. We delivered single battery systems or series-production for total twelve AUV systems until now (as of Aug. 2016).
- Underwater vehicles: AUV, ROV
- Underwater equipment: condition monitoring stations
- Smart sensor power supplies
- Extremely robust: corrosion free titanium material constructed for offshore conditions
- Safety: control and protection of all battery parameter; UL certified cells
- Reliability: optionally redundant design, under all circumstances at least 50% capacity
- Minimum costs: long lifetime, short charging cycles, long life-time
- Simple handling: Plug’n’play charger – no need to open the housing, charge underwater
- Easy maintenance: little time and costs
- Highest rated power: high capacities with optimized weight and size; much longer operating times
- High-power Li-Ion PowerPack™
- Capacity for single blocks of up to 5kW, cascadable to 100+kWh batteries
- Typical voltages: 14V up to 50V per block, expandable to 400+V batteries
- Integrated SmartBMS™ controller
- Data download, Firmware / configuration upgrade via USB
- Simple installation and operation
- Operating depth of up to 6000m or OEM integration
- Design, capacity and mechanical design customized to your project
- Data logging on industrial SD card of up to 32GB
- Redundant construction for high-safety requirements
- Special wiring for minimized electromagnetic emission
- Special housings and mechanical designs
- ISO 13628-6 or API17 MIL-STD 810G or GL for industrial applications
- EMC tests according to MIL-STD, DIN-EN, GL
- AECTP, AQAP etc.
- Production according e.g. IPC-A-600/610 class 3
|AUV Li-Ion battery 158V, 41kWh ready for integration||AUV PowerPack™ 48V, 2.5kWh and data interface with customized sea-water resistant coated aluminium housing|
|AUV Li-Ion battery with titanium housing, (c) Photo DFKI/GTR||AUV Li-Ion battery components during testing (MIL-STD 810G)|
|Prototype of a new diving-robot with Li-Ion Battery (c) Photo Meka Robotics, company by Google||Li-Ion Powerpack™ with SmartDI® data logger and exploration sensors as payload installed in a “fish” for EMV exploration (c) photo by Mundal AS|
Based on the proven Li-Ion rechargeable batteries we offer complete energy systems, for example AUV drive or the on-board electronics. The especially developed electronics SmartBMS™ supports the Li-Ion PowerPack™. The SmartBMS™ monitors the battery with especially for Li-Ion technologies designed switching circuits. NMEA 0183 is a compatible data interface to the AUV host system. This NMEA-0183 interface is easy to adapt and galvanically decoupled.
The AUV PowerPacks™ are available in up to about 100 kWh and 400V. PowerPacks™ can be connected for larger battery capacity. For the optimal design, the AUV PowerPacks™ are adapted to the equipment rack. SubCtech offers sufficient know-how from various past projects from the planning phase onwards. Of course, existing batteries can be replaced with this innovative technology.
Li-Ion batteries can deliver very high currents, in contrast to other battery technologies because of their low internal resistance. Especially produced for the marine sector, our PowerPacks™ work highly efficient at low temperatures.
The PowerPacks™ can be supplied in pressure-resistant titanium housings with an operating depth of up to 6000m. They can also be set in an existing housing.
The SmartChargers™ – specially tuned chargers for the PowerPacks™ – are connected directly and do not have to be further adjusted . The SmartCharger™ technology charges the PowerPacks™ safely and gently without opening the pressure housing. Therefore the AUV can be charged in water.
For additional security, the PowerPacks™ are designed to be fully redundant. This way, 50% of the remaining capacity will always be available in the event of a fatal error, so that the mission can be brought to a regular ending.
(c) Header photo by DFKI/GTR